After a first round of voting tighter than ever before, the 10 candidates with most votes now continue the race towards becoming The World Games Athlete / Team of the Year 2019.
This year, all candidates received massive support from their fans. The voting only began on 8th January, but already by 20th January at 16:00 CET, 449,157 votes have been cast (149,719 single voting times). The candidates just missing the cut to the final are the incredible 12-year-old Drone racer Wanraya Wannapong (THA) with 10,995 votes, Kickboxing star Vladislav Tuinov (RUS, 10,021) and Team Netherlands in Tug of War (9,844).
This is the 6th time that the IWGA is running the race for the Athlete of the Year. The award honours an athlete or a team for their outstanding performance in 2019, or for their social commitment or particularly fair behaviour. The winners will receive trophies and prizes from Protective Life. Protective Life is the official sponsor of The World Games Athlete of the Year.
This year, voting began at 09:00 CET on 8th January and will end at 15:00 CET on Thursday 30th January 2020.
All candidates at 20 January 16:00 CET:
- Rani (Hockey, IND) 109,179
- Stanislav Horuna (Karate, UKR) 62,628
- Rhaea Stinn (Powerlifting, CAN) 29,689
- Janja Garnbret (Sport Climbing, SLO) 22,401
- Davide Donati & Michela Castoldi (Gymnastics, ITA) 20,739
- Armen Tsaturyan & Svetlana Gudyno (DanceSport, RUS) 14,946
- Mateus Kuntzler (Fistball, BRA) 11,922
- Team Finland (Flying Disc) 11,709
- U19 Team Czech Republic (Floorball) 11,652
- Sara Lopez (Archery, COL) 11,607
- Wanraya Wannapong (Air Sports, THA) 10,995
- Vladislav Tuinov (Kickboxing, RUS) 16 10,021
- Netherlands (Tug of War) 9,844
- Stacey Porter (Baseball/Softball, AUS) 9,698
- Christian Tissier (Aikido, FRA) 9,554
- Maria Rodriguez (Bowling, COL) 9,548
- Madison Copeland (Lacrosse, AUS) 9,412
- Paola Longoria (Racquetball, MEX) 9,411
- Nic Rapa (Waterski&Wakeboard, AUS) 9,300
- Katerina Mrazova (Roller Sports, CZE) 9,194
- Jimmy Vienot (Muaythai, FRA) 9,146
- Brazil (Beach Handball) 9,144
- Mads Pedersen (Canoe, DEN) 9,143
- Pavel Kabanov (Finswimming, RUS) 9,139
- Tove Alexandersson (Orienteering, SWE) 9,136
Protective Life Corporation provides financial services through the production, distribution and administration of insurance and investment products throughout the U.S. The company traces its roots to the corporation’s flagship company, Protective Life Insurance Company – founded in 1907. Throughout its more than 110-year history, Protective’s growth and success can be largely attributed to its ongoing commitment to serving people and doing the right thing – for its employees, distributors, and most importantly, its customers. The company’s home office is located in Birmingham, Alabama, and its 3,000 employees are located in offices across the United States. As of December 31 2018, the Company had assets of approximately $90 billion. Protective Life Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc. (TSE:8750). For more information about Protective, please visit www.Protective.com.
The World Games is a multi-sport event staged every four years by the International World Games Association under the patronage of the International Olympic Committee. The 11th edition of The World Games will be held in Birmingham, Alabama, USA, 15-25 July 2021. 3,600 athletes from over 30 sports and 100 countries will take part in the Games.