Voting for the IWGA Athlete/Team of the Year 2014
Adam Ondra Tops the Polls
And the winner is… Adam Ondra from the Czech Republic. The 21-year-old Czech climber from Brno was elected as our IWGA Athlete of the Year 2014. Adam Ondra was crowned IFSC Boulder World Champion in Munich last year and was IWGA athlete of the month for August 2014.
Adam Ondra (21) topped the poll with 34.1% of the votes. Valentina Shevchenko (Peru), IWGA Athlete of the Month for May 2014, was ranked second. “Bullet” (her nickname), who won the gold medal (weight class 60 kg) at IFMA World Championships Malaysia 2014, achieved 23,5 % of the votes Third place went to Nino Langella & Khrystyna Moshenska (Athletes of the Month for October (17,4%). The Latin Dance couple from Italy won the World Champion title in Ostrava / Czech Republic.
The athlete or the team of the year was elected by online voting from 1 until 31 January. Supporters and friends of The World Games could cast a vote for the top athlete / the top team of 2014. The shortlist comprised the nine IWGA Athletes / Teams of the Month in 2014. It was the second time that the IWGA has staged a vote for the Athlete of the Year. A trophy will be awarded to Adam Ondra in cooperation with the International Federation of Sport Climbing.
The final rankings:
IWGA Athlete of the Year 2014
1. Adam Ondra (CZE / Sport Climbing) 34,1 % (4729 Votes)
2. Valentina Shevchenko (PER/Muaythai) 23,5 (3268)
3. Nino Langella & Khrystyna Moshenska (ITA/Dance Sport) 17,4 % (2412)
4. Carl Yngvar Christensen (NIR/Powerlifting) 9,8 %, (1362)
5. Men’s Floorball Team (SWE) 6,2 % (865)
6. Paola Longoria (MEX/ Racquetball) 2,9 %, (405)
7. Sarah Lopez (COL/Archery) 2,8 % (392)
8. Women's Canoe Polo Team (GER), 1,9 % (266)
9. Men’s Beach Handball Team (BRA), 1,4 %, (198)